Friday, April 3, 2009

birds

the last stanzas from the Tongan poet, Konai Helu's poem "Take Off"

when was 
the first time
birds learnt to fly?

i know it was when I began
to write

It has been so difficult for me to write this week. I have so much anxiety and doubts if my life is ok. But I am going to take a starting point here and trust myself and take off
  
I went to the Berkeley pier this morning. The pier is what we call in Tonga, uafu, or wharf. The Berkeley pier is as wide as a neighborhood street and extends a mile into the ocean. People fish on its sides and folks take walks along its concrete floor. Bicycles and vehicles are prohibited.
At the pier, there is a panoramic view of the rusty red Golden Gate Bridge in front of you and
the  silver Bay Bridge, extending from San Francisco's nest of squished tall buildings, towards Oakland on your left hand side. Behind you are Berkeley and Oakland's neighborhoods, climbing up hills towards the sky.
The promise that the pier offers, is that these points of interest can be seen, but they are far away. There is no need to reach them.  Instead, the pier offers you to flirt with the fisherpeople, laugh hysterically at your lonliness, follow the ducks on the waves and enjoy the company of seagulls. 

When I first moved to Berkeley in November 2008, I loved seeing, smelling and touching, lightly, the flowers I walked by. They were beautiful! Camellia, calla lily, rose, lehua, daffodil, fuschia, freesia, gardenia, magnolia, rosemary, clover, shameless yellow dandelion, cactus, lemon.  
November turned to January and I still couldn't find a job. I missed my friends and the independent life I lived in Massachusetts. We moved to Berkeley because Niko wanted to live closer to family. I missed the joy of having my own apartment where I could lie on the couch for an entire afternoon and hang out by myself. I didn't know anyone in this new town, all the people I met were my sister's friends and colleagues. I was tired of feeling that I was starting all over again.
By February, I didn't care to notice the flowers anymore. I was tired of their beauty at the time of my personal misery. I wasn't interested in admiring their colors and textures. I walked by them and quietly said, "Shut up you stupid flowers." These flowers meant nothing anymore to me. I vowed to myself, "When I finally get the hell out of Berkeley, I will go to a new place and make new flower friends and enjoy and love those flowers. Fuck you spoiled rotten, we-get-sunshine-all-year-round flowers."  

Then I remembered. When I was in Tonga in the mid-90s, returning after immigrating to the U.S. with my family in 1981, it was very difficult. I had returned by myself and, at the time, I had forgotten how to speak Tongan.  I saw myself as a young, radical feminist political activist, an identity that, like in the U.S., annoyed and repulsed people in Tonga. giggles. As hard as I tried, nobody talked to me except the white Peace Corps kids from the U.S. (hehe, very funny memories) I take full responsibility for my countless identities that frustrated the Tongan people. giggles. Nevertheless, I was extremely lonely and dreamed of having a friend. I remembered breathing in the laukau po'uli, a flower that exudes a musky perfume at night, and cursed my loneliness. 

At that time, I wrote on a small table that I placed on the fale tolo, porch, under the gigantic tamaline, tamarind tree. When I wasn't working, volunteering, washing clothes or clearing the leaves under the mei, breadfruit trees, I sat at this table, drinking instant coffee, and worked hard to write poems. That's where my first batch of poems come from. 
I tipped back the wooden chair I was seated on and talked to a hibiscus bush that entangled itself around a porch post. Its large scarlet buds loved to listen to me read Ana Castillo's poem, "Daddy with Chesterfields in a Rolled Up Sleeve."

This is a long poem, but the hibiscus especially enjoyed the last stanzas:

i speak English with a crooked smile,
say "man," smoke cigarettes,
drink tequila, grab your eyes that dart
from me to tell you of my 
trips to Mexico,

(on hearing the word "MEXXIIKOH or MEHIKOH" the hibiscus blossoms swooned, they loved the word MEXICO and loved a place like MEHIKOH) 

i play down the elegant fingers,
hair that falls over an eye,
the silk dress accentuating breasts-
and fit the street jargon to my full lips,
try to catch those evasive eyes,
tell you of jive artists
where we heard hot salsa
at a local dive.
And so, i exist...
(on hearing "EXXIIISSST," the hibiscus screamed in delight!)

...Men try to catch my eye. i talk to them
of politics, religion, the ghosts i've seen,
the king of timbales, Mexico and Chicago
(SHHEEKAAGO! Represent!!! yell the hibiscus.)
And they go away. 

But women stay. Women like stories.
They like thin arms around their shoulders,
the smell of perfumed hair,
a flamboyant scarf around the neck
the reassuring voice that confirms their
cynicism about politics, religion and the glorious
history that slaughtered thousands of slaves.

(the hibiscus stood still for this stanza)
Because of the seductive aroma of mole
in my kitchen, and the mysterious preparation
of herbs, women tolerate my cigarette
and cognac breath, unmade bed,
and my inability to keep a budget-
in exchange for a promise,
an exotic trip,
a tango lesson,
an anecdote of the gypsy who stole
me away in Madrid.

( they held their breath)
Oh Daddy, with the Chesterfields
rolled up in a sleeve,
you got a woman for a son.

(And sighed.)

I love that poem too! I use to change "Daddy" to "Tonga" and said something like, "Tonga, with your head high up your ass, you got women for a son." I was specifically thinking about the twenty-something neighbor woman whose mother cut her hair because she stayed out late Friday night. The same daughter, who rushed to prepare food for her brother, a fourteen-year-old boy, who finally came home to his parent's relief on Monday morning. This poem is also my story of growing up as a second sister in a family that disregarded the 3 eldest daughters but was obsessed with loving the only son. 
The apricot colored felila, bougainvillea, across the street, stretched its blossoms to hear these new English poems that deviated from Wordsworth and Revelations. 

In the evenings, I gathered poetry books and went to the Kolomotu'a foreshore to read to the ocean and toa trees. 
On the evening before I left Tonga for the U.S., after almost 4 years,  I went to the foreshore to say goodbye to reef, sea, wind and trees. I began reading one of Konai's poems out loud but a restlessness started around me. I began reading again. Then a cool breeze gently touched me and said, "Loa, it is now time for you to read us poems that you have written in your own voice." The tides around me lapped in agreement and fiddler crabs danced around my feet. 

i am coming into myself more each day as i live here in berkeley. i really am not the same person who lived in mass just last summer. so much has changed and i have grown and changed too. i do talk kindly to the flowers now and i have separated them from myself. they are their own flowers, not mine. i don't have to touch, smell or stare at them anymore. i just let them be flowers and smile at them as I walk by.    


      


1 comment:

  1. thank you for your words Loa. they just brought me back to the earth, that place of longing, and reminded me of the power of words, ours and others, when written with courage and honesty - to transform and heal us. to be our friends when we feel alone. i wanted to share with you some poems i wrote from that similar place. one is very long, so forgive me... but you have inspired me to share, and also to remember to write each day. its so important and yet one of the hardest things for me to do. much love sister. keep writing. love, erica

    1)floating

    inbetween so many worlds
    somedays i wake up
    and i dont know my place in the universe
    and i spend the rest of the day
    reassuring myself
    that i am okay
    just as i am
    that i have everything i need
    that i am doing the right thing
    somedays i wake up
    only to fall back asleep
    chasing peace
    and finding unsettling dreams
    that make no sense
    my life, a mess
    my self hard to understand
    my heart on fire
    my head two steps behind it
    yelling,
    wait for me
    sometimes i wake up, ungrateful
    for the breath, for the new day
    for the place to stay
    for the family thats fucked up and so full of love
    and i apologize
    for my own imperfect existence
    walking between so many worlds
    trying to hold it all down
    leave no one behind
    and i forget myself.

    im sorry.
    i look in the mirror and i say
    im sorry
    i put my head in my hands
    and i say
    im sorry
    for denying you for so long
    the right to be loved


    2)where do i begin? aka fuck it
    in progress.

    we aint ever done healin
    i got tears to fill a nation
    heavy precipitation
    comes with no hesitation
    when im all alone
    it sometimes the only home i know
    the only time i feel completely comfortable
    instead of filled with worries about what the person next to me think
    when im flyin free dancin to the beat in my head
    when im laughin like a child
    rather play instead
    when i dare to be innocent
    my own family robbed it from me
    my blood the cause of self-destruction
    we bombed our own ship n we didnt even have to build it
    cut off from my history
    still i feel ancestors with me
    im listening
    i ask for guidance and try to believe and try to stay non-violent towards myself but the pain finds new ways to manifest
    the scars that shame lays rise so easily in my chest
    feel like im in self-defense mode most of the time
    tryna stay movin forward
    but how easy it rewinds

    back in time
    cant remember when or what or whom
    memories consume me
    like a cloudy breeze cant see
    wanna be free but dont know what that means
    wanna know my purpose
    feel like i dont deserve it
    whats worth it?
    whats really worth it?

    stevie wonder says its all about love
    i believe him
    ghandi says to be the change

    people wanna leave me behind cuz i walk like a zombie
    dont know my history
    mixed up
    cant speak my language(s)
    infected with greed like the rest
    brought up middle class, grew up fast
    learned how to be cool
    learned how to just get by in school
    learned how to not play the fool
    learned how to please
    learned how to tease
    learned how to make believe
    learned how to daydream
    learned how to be a victim
    learned how to be fine
    learned how to have a good time
    learned how to play tricks with my mind

    this pen im lettin move on its own
    fuck preachin to those who know already
    the truth its time to get free
    fuck it, cuz its ugly
    stinks like the belly of the beast
    fuck it if you judge me
    cuz all im really tryna do is love me.
    love me
    love me
    i got tears to flood the sea
    i got fears that need release
    i got scars that make blessings
    i got dozens of second guessings
    i need help
    please dont forget me
    im shy, not threatening
    im proof
    that the truth hurts
    i didnt read it in a book
    its so hard to look
    without looking away
    yearning to sustain
    so easy to escape
    the pain
    gotta find new ways
    deep breaths
    eyes glazed
    red chest
    fire blaze to clear away
    blowin ash to outerspace
    be the change
    fuck it if im afraid
    it gets easier every time
    one at a time

    fuck it if you judge me
    i dont wanna hide my ugly
    i come to the table
    push truth above me
    write the fable
    write it for the next young and able
    and willing
    to sit with the pain
    to meditate
    be brave to make a change
    i do it now. this time. healin the wounds the ancestors left behind
    do it for the youth
    the future of this old soul
    searchin for home
    feel like i got no place to go
    write this truth on post-it notes
    waste in paper
    it aint all p.c.
    but i try not to be a hater
    i aint perfect
    claim my disease
    i gotta work with it
    i try and pray everyday
    even for those who made the world this way
    i aint no saint
    just tryna be less of a hypocrite
    puttin it all out there go ahead and rip on it
    you wont beat me
    im my own worst enemy
    tryna shape my destiny
    if i fail, i got the best of me
    aint lookin for no pat on the back
    give props when props due
    i earn my respect when i give it to you
    puttin it out there
    so black its blue
    sings like a bruise from an open wound

    fuck it
    i got tears to fill a bucket
    pour it on the ground
    hear the sounds its gettin muddy
    cant run from it
    learnin to love it
    dust it off
    the fear to be real
    i make leaps and bounds this time
    history wants to heal

    cant talk about revolution
    without sounding like confusion
    just wanna play the blues like albert king bb king
    release the sting
    pull it out of me with each pluck of the string
    like jimi hendrix
    im a humble apprentice
    burstin appendix
    from rotten lessons
    recovering addict
    from spontaneous combustion
    self-destruction
    comin back from the rabbit hole
    i see how deep that it goes
    uproot the seed that greed grows
    ignorance shows
    im no better than you
    nothin special
    we all essential to this movement
    moves to quick for me
    talks about revolution
    im just tryna build community
    heal the wounds in me
    be the change i wanna see
    take some responsibility

    fuck it if you judge me
    im my own worst enemy
    tryna be my own best friend
    whats it all worth in the end?
    sick of playin pretend
    the truth is a hard mu'fucka that dont bend
    break ya back if it have to
    i aint factory manufactured
    i rapture from inside out
    blood boilin. got the gout
    gonna sprout. either way
    it can be good
    it can be more of the same
    im the lion that got tamed
    that tore down its cage
    and now wonders what way to go
    in the wild unknown
    that my ancestors called home
    this is 2007
    its hard enough to stay present
    im so used to second guessin
    bein spoonfed and raised on television
    buy what you need
    loose your instincts
    hungry and i dont know how to eat
    feed on the disease
    before it eats me
    alive mixed breed taught to live lies
    in a world of black and white
    im the one that gets left behind

    this aint complainin
    this is statin the unstated
    the words that make me purge
    the ones that hurt me so i get faded
    but not this time
    at work supposed to be filin
    instead i write
    get myself paid n find some light
    under my own spell
    got so many stories to tell
    how many will prevail?

    hopin i dont get caught
    my soul's already been bought
    sold long ago when grams left her home
    came to the states
    left the islands that made her
    calm and content and spiritually rich
    for billboards and sweat
    and english and its stench
    mama born here never learned her language either
    3rd generation come from a legacy of trouble-makers
    addicts with so much potential
    the shadow that casts in both directions
    and now im playin catch up
    move forward dont let up
    we gonna get it right this time
    somethin better for my children
    they pick up where i left behind
    use my tears to wipe away the grease that stained dreams
    teach them to listen
    lead by example
    learnin to trust myself
    accumulatin this spritual wealth
    pray for good health
    i know what it takes
    so why is it so hard to sustain?

    fuck it
    go ahead and judge it
    i spent years tryna be what i wasn't
    makin up stories for my older cousins
    cuz i was never enough for them
    now i got truth to fill buckets
    where do i begin?

    3)let it die

    if there is anything i want,
    it is for you to feel worthy, and loved.

    for my mother.

    home
    tonight is the night. my mom and i cried
    and i see how much i am her daughter
    i scroll up and down the computer screen
    not saying a thing
    she cant hold back the tears
    but she will if it means
    i will come home more often

    tonight is the night
    my hard face softens
    my mother can hardly take it
    but she does
    when the ones she loves tell her to shut up
    they do not want her advice
    even tho she spent long days and nights
    raising children,
    and now grandchildren

    my nephew does not listen
    my sister teaches him well
    how to yell at the one he comes from
    while my mother has no time
    for crying
    and she will suck her tears back up
    if it means i will come home more

    im half way out with my foot out the door
    and it is clear
    that i just need to scream
    my mother accepts
    that she dont deserve respect
    spending long days and nights
    raising children and grandchildren
    putting up with it
    she tells me
    what can we do
    i cant make them listen
    no matter how loud i yell

    this aint a story
    just tears screaming
    some days its hard believing
    im doing what i can
    to be still
    while one foot is out the door
    a glass of water
    and a pill
    id make myself ill
    so that i wouldnt have to feel

    this aint a sad story
    i just dont feel strong today
    my mother steels the words from me
    on her way out the door
    to teach young people about jesus
    she said she gives it up to god
    its out of her hands
    and i stare blank into a computer screen
    saying lord what is the plan
    for us

    in my heart there is lush
    greens and yellows
    and reds and pillows
    for you to cry on
    mother
    fuck any movement
    that i cannot take home
    to you
    tell me what can i do
    to prove you wrong
    lord, it has been too long
    and i see
    the problem is me
    looking in the mirror
    finding it hard to believe
    i can do anything

    tonight is the night
    i give doubt life
    and let it die.

    ReplyDelete