Thursday, March 19, 2009

lsat prep class,

Just finished my second LSAT prep class an hour and 48 minutes ago, and my head is still aching and I'm very wired. This happened the other night after my first class. This happens because I spend 5 hours doing homework for the class, food break, and then go to four hours of class. Nine hours of logical reasoning problems and logic games makes me- not even a beer can shake this funk off- but engaging in nine hours of logical reasoning and logic games three times a week and five hours each day for the rest of the week- makes me want to ace this fucking test.  Shoot, after spending each waking hour devoted to learning logical reasoning and logic games and getting muscle cramps in class because I don't know most of the answers to the teacher's questions, I'm going to a top law school. 

This is the kind of devotion that I need to give to any commitment that I believe in and that I love.  I really love people, especially  poor people, people of color, young people, young men like my son and  women, like my friends Emma, Becky, Jenna, Anita and Fui. I have a great love for prisoners and their families and a strong commitment to working together with them to change our practices and ideas of incarceration. I love people who are in the U.S. without proper legal documentation, but insist on staying and forging a life for themselves or/and their families. I am proud and am in love with Pacific Islanders, indigenous people of the South Pacific region, where my ancestors and I come from. 

When I think of becoming an attorney in the near future, I think about being Tongan. I think about the violent household I grew up in in Tonga and the challenges my parents, my siblings and I faced as new immigrants in Provo and Orem, Utah. I also think of the burgeoning Tongan Pro-Democracy movement that continues to transform the Tongan political and cultural landscape and gained momentum from the hard work and sacrifices of diverse Tongan people and their allies. I think of my own coming-of-age in the US when I learned about social justice and not to believe corporate media. These are narratives about my life that I have gained wisdom from. These aren't my stories alone though. Everday, so many people experience narratives just like mine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment