Saturday, March 21, 2009

after another class, forpeopleofcolor.org

It's only the 3rd day of the Blueprint LSAT prep class and it KICKED MY ASS. After class, I immediately went to the public library to study but I just couldn't think. I'll keep doing my homework and I'll keep attending class. I definitely will take the test on June 8th and I know that the knowledge I obtain by then will allow me to do well. 
At the last part of class, I didn't know how to diagram the logical reasoning problems so I must do twice the homework. 
I am lucky to live with my sister and my brother-in-law because they help me out so much that I am able to have the time to study. I know a lot of folks out there, especially single parents like myself, must work and take care of a million things. I am very blessed to be able to have the time to study. 

Yall know that the June test is the preferable test to take, yeah? It is. This is the earliest test date. You want to take the test in June so you can have ample time to concentrate on all the other requirements for the law school application process. Taking the test early also allows your scores to be posted earlier during the process, which allows schools to assess your scores and offer you fee waivers to apply to their schools if your scores are good. 

The LSAT is extremely important but no matter what my score is, I am going to law school, and, I'm going to a school I want. That of course means that I will do my absolute damnest. The law school I will end up attending will be the program I was meant to attend. I'm not going to law school for fun (although it will definitely be fun!) or because I want to be an important person. I'm an unemployed fat divorced woman with a 10-year old son living in her sister's apartment. My goal to be a lawyer didn't grow out of my ass.  Becoming a lawyer is just a part of the process that I have been engaged in since I was a high school student, in working for social justice.  

If you are thinking of law school and you're a person of color, you MUST check out the website
www.forpeopleofcolor.org
and you MUST make an effort to attend their workshops. 
They are a crew of attorneys of color, and their allies, who mentor people of color to go to law school and become lawyers. They're a formidable force of information on every step of the way to law school and to becoming a lawyer AND they encourage you to keep your head up when things get difficult. 
I was able to attend their February workshop with my brother-in-law, Mo, who also looks forward to becoming an attorney in the near future too. It was held at the law firm of Munger,Tolles & Olson in LA. We were already in LA for my cousin's 21st birthday. Unfortunately, we missed the birthday party to attend the workshop, but we made it to the after-party, which is the party for cousins only. 
The experience of being with Anthony Solano and the crew of For People of Color.Org and to be among other people of color who know the shame and pain of racism and marginalization so well, and yet, they choose to rise above it, against great odds, was invaluable, beautiful! and humbling.  When I sat through that workshop, I said, "I'm scared to work towards becoming a lawyer," then I looked around me and concluded, "But I'm not alone." 
I've kept up with the announcements from forpeopleofcolor.org for a year and so I know that they will be coming to the Bay Area around April-June. Mo and I will attend that workshop and we will take drafts of our personal statements so the forpeopleofcolor.org staff can make comments and give us feedback on them.   
These folks are a blessing to us prospective law students of color. Like all blessings, they are meant to be used well, heeded and loved. Mo and I gave Anthony a beautiful piece of ngatu for his organization when we met in LA. It would be wonderful if he got so sick of ngatu because so many Tongans and Pacific Islanders were crowding his workshops with their parents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces and homies. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment